Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

Self-Help Center

Free resources are available to help you find legal information and learn how to represent yourself in some legal matters.

Sierra Superior Court Self-Help Resources

Sierra County Superior Court's self-help resources now include new technology to help self-represented parties complete legal forms and better understand the legal process.

SHARP is a court supported Self-Help Center that provides free assistance to self-represented people (litigants) who do not have attorneys.

Through a collaborative grant, self-help computers have been installed at two locations in Sierra County. The computers include interactive programs which assist in the completion of forms for: Divorce; Eviction (Unlawful Detainer Answer and Complaint); Guardianship; Modifying or Establishing Child Support and/or Child Custody and Visitation Orders; Parentage; Restraining Orders (civil harassment, domestic violence, elder abuse); Fee Waiver; Name Change; and Small Claims. All Judicial Council Forms are also available on the computers.

If you need further guidance, please contact the Court Clerk at 530-289-3698 weekdays between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. for instructions on how to contact the Court's Self-Help Attorney / Family Law Facilitator for an appointment.

Important Disclosure: These programs and services are available to all parties in a case. The program staff cannot represent any of the parties in a case. No attorney-client relationship is created between any party and the program staff as a result of these services. Communications between parties and program staff are not confidential. The staff can only provide information and education, not legal advice. To receive legal advice, one must hire a private attorney.

Nevada City Self-Help Center

To better serve the residents of Sierra County, Sierra Superior Court has teamed up with the Nevada City Self-Help Center, located at the Nevada City Law Library.

Self-represented litigants can take advantage of the free first-come, first serve walk-in help with family law, civil matters, evictions and unlawful detainer actions, probate / estate planning and restraining orders.

Related Resources

  • Lawyer Referral Services

    Lawyer referral services are offered by the California Bar Association.

  • Families Change

    A guide to separation and divorce. Resources are available for all members of the family.

  • California Courts Self-Help Center

  • Cortes de California Centro de Ayuda

  • Legal Services of Northern California

    Sierra County has an equal access partnership with Legal Services of Norther California to provide assistance to low-income clients who meet the eligibility requirements.

  • Sierra County Small Claims

    Small claims is a court within the Superior Court where disputes are resolved quickly and inexpensively. 

Top California Court FAQs

The following are links to the State of California's Self-Help Center frequently asked questions pages. Information is provided in English and Spanish.

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.