Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

Interpreters & Language Services

About Court Interpreters

If you are involved in a proceeding for a Criminal, Traffic, Juvenile, or Family Court Hearing, you may ask the clerk at the counter or the clerk in the courtroom for an interpreter. If an interpreter is not available at the time of your hearing, your case may be continued by the Court until an interpreter can be assigned.

If you are involved in a civil or small claims hearing, you may be provided an interpreter, if one is available.

Parties and Counsel are required to provide notice to the Court of any need for interpreting in order to assure that these services may be arranged by the Court on a timely basis.

To notice the Court you may:

Return the form to the court in person at:

Superior Court, County of Sierra
100 Courthouse Square
Downieville, CA 95936

Or mail to:

Superior Court, County of Sierra
P.O. Box 476
Downieville, CA 95936


If you decide to use a noncertified or nonregistered interpreter, such as a friend or relative, have the person read the instructions and duties for interpreting in the information sheet called Foreign Language Interpreter’s Duties-Civil and Small Claims (INT-200)

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)

If you require services of a sign language interpreter, you may request one for any court hearing you may have. This includes small claims hearings and jury duty. For more information on this and other Access and Accommodation needs please visit the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) page on this site.

Limited English Proficiency Plan

To get more information on efficiencies that Sierra Superior Court has implemented to enhance language access for all LEP court users you may read our Limited English Proficiency (LEP) Plan.

Complaint Process

If you have a complaint about access to language services, you may submit a complaint using this fillable form.

The Language Access Representative will review and respond to all interpreter and language access complaints. The Court takes all complaints about language access very seriously and will address the concerns in an appropriate manner.

Please be aware that the Interpreters’ Office of Sierra Superior Court does not have the authority to change or modify any decision made by a judicial officer and that its review of the complaint does not, in any way, affect or extend any applicable deadlines or procedural requirements such as filing motions, appeals, modifications, etc.

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.