Skip to main content
Skip to main content.


About Civil Cases

Civil cases involve a lawsuit in which one party sues another to:

  • Recover money or property.
  • To enforce a contract.
  • To collect damages for injury.
  • To protect some civil right.

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE – The Sierra Superior Court has modified court operations to implement Code of Civil Procedure, section 367.75, which authorizes trial courts to conduct civil, family, and juvenile proceedings through the use of remote technology effective January 1, 2022.

Local Rules for Remote Appearances in Civil Proceedings Updated March 2, 2022

Notice of scheduling requirements are defined by evidentiary or non-evidentiary hearings. Many hearing types allow parties and attorneys to appear remotely without filing a motion for remote appearance, while trials and evidentiary hearings require a form be filed with the Court and served on the other party. You can find the updated procedures and links to the new forms on the California Courts website.


To pay civil fess, make your check or money order payable to Sierra Superior Court. If you have a case number, please reference it on your check or money order. Mail to P.O. Box 476, Downieville, CA 95936 (DO NOT SEND CASH), or if you know your case number and the amount due, you may pay online:

Pay Now

Frequently Asked Questions

Limited Civil cases are those involving $25,000 or less, except small claims cases.

Unlimited Civil cases are all other cases except family law or probate cases.

Delay Reduction cases are civil cases in which the court imposes timelines in order to make sure these cases are resolved quickly, usually within one year.

For current fees for filing an initial complaint, petition or application, download the Statewide Civil Fee Schedule.

If you are low-income, you may be able to qualify for a fee waiver and not have to pay a filing fee. Fee Waiver Form (FW-001)

The Judicial Council has developed several forms which can be used in civil cases. These forms can be found at

A defendant can file an answer to a complaint, or if the complaint fails to comply with applicable procedural laws, the defendant can file a motion challenging the legality of the complaint, such as a demurrer or a motion to strike.

A demurrer is a motion brought by a defendant to challenge a defective complaint. Usually a demurrer is brought when the defendant does not believe the plaintiff has stated sufficient facts to support the legal theory, or cause of action, upon which the plaintiff’s claim is based. Sometimes a demurrer may be brought because the statute of limitations has run.

A demurrer can be brought as to the entire complaint, or as to one or more causes of action.

A motion to strike is usually brought to request the court delete an improper allegation or statement from a complaint. Sometimes a motion to strike is directed to one word or phrase, sometimes it is directed to an entire cause of action. A motion to strike can also be filed with a demurrer, but the court charges a separate motion fee for each motion.

There are different methods of gathering information in a case to prepare the case for trial. These methods, which include depositions, interrogatories, demands to produce documents, requests for admission, and site inspections, are collectively referred to as "discovery."

Yes, if the parties are willing. You can use alternative dispute resolution, generally called ADR. ADR refers to a number of ways of resolving conflicts without a lawsuit or, if you have filed a lawsuit, without a trial.

These alternative ways are used for many types of disputes, including divorces, business and real estate disputes, landlord/tenant disputes, disputes with contractors, financial disputes, employer-employee disputes, inheritance disputes, and conflicts between neighbors.

Information about resolving your dispute out of court (ADR) can be found on the California Courts website.

Rules of court, statutes, case law and other materials that may be useful to understanding the procedures in civil cases are available at:

Nevada County Public Law Library
201 Church Street, 1st Floor, Suite 9
Nevada City, CA. 95959.
Phone: (530) 265-7161

Directions: From Downieville travel North on CA-49. Turn right on Coyote St. Turn right onto Church St.

Please note that the law librarians can only direct you to helpful books and other materials. They cannot answer legal questions or assist you in preparing your case.

Related Resources

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.