Quality & Term of Service
Under California law, NO eligible person shall be exempt from jury service as a trial juror by reason of occupation, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or economic status. All persons are eligible and qualified to be prospective trial jurors, except the following:
- If you are not a citizen of the United States
- If you are not 18 years of age or older
- If you are not a resident of Sierra County
- If you do not possess sufficient knowledge of the English language
- If you have been convicted of a felony and your civil rights have not been restored
- If you have served as a trial or grand juror in the past 12 months
- If you are a peace officer as defined in Penal Code sections 830.1 and 830.2(a)
- If you are the subject of a conservatorship.
Term of Service
You should plan to be available for an all-day service. Court hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Your services are completed once you are released after completion of jury selection or you are a sworn juror and the trial has been completed. Jurors report in person one day, and may be selected to serve on a case of any length. In rare instances, jury selection for a case will take longer than one day. You may be requested to return until jury selection is complete. You will not be asked to serve again for one year.
[CCP Section 208] Once a prospective juror has been summoned, the date, time, or place of appearance may be modified or further specified by the jury commissioner, by means of written, telegraphic, telephonic, or direct oral communication with the prospective juror.
PLEASE REVIEW YOUR JUROR SUMMONS FOR IMPORTANT CONTACT TELEPHONE NUMBERS, DATE AND TIME OF SERVICE.