Jury Duty - An Honored Service
The right to a trial by jury is a privilege that applies to both criminal and civil cases and is recognized as the foundation of the American court system, guaranteed by both the United States and California Constitutions.
If you are sick, call the Jury Commissioner's Office and DO NOT report for jury service.
- Jury service is conducted live, not by remote appearance such as Zoom.
- Face coverings are optional regardless of vaccination status.
- Jury deliberations will occur in the courtroom rather than in jury deliberation rooms.
- Hand sanitizer is available in the lobby and courtroom.
- Plan to pack a lunch to enjoy outside(the courthouse does not have a dining hall), or plan to eat at a local dining establishment. Downieville has several restaurant/cafe options during the summer months.
Thank you very much for your willingness to serve as a juror, and to help the Court continue to provide this vital function of our democracy during these extraordinary times.