2023-2024 Trial Court Allocations and Workload Formula
Presiding Judges, Court Executive Officers, and Fiscal Contacts:
At today’s July 21, 2023, business meeting, the Judicial Council approved 2023-24 Trial Court Trust Fund (TCTF) and General Fund allocations to the trial courts.
To assist courts with budgeting allocations, this year’s allocation workbook includes two worksheets that display the trial court allocations and the Workload Formula allocations separately:
- The “TC Allocations” tab displays 2023-24 trial court base and non-base allocations and includes general ledger numbers for each allocation. Columns T through W display the non-TCTF allocations.
- The “WF Allocation” tab displays the 2023-24 Final Workload Allocation (column Y), the 2023-24 Workload Formula (“need”) (column Z), and Workload Formula Percentage (column AA).
Also included is the 2023-24 Workload Formula which includes the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Resource Assessment Study, and Full-Time Equivalent need.
Judicial Council Reports
The Judicial Branch Budget Committee and Trial Court Budget Advisory Committee reports to the council provide helpful detail regarding the allocations, and can be viewed by following the links below on the California Courts website:
- Trial Court Budget: Allocations from the Trial Court Trust Fund and Trial Court Allocations for 2023-24
- Trial Court Budget | Fiscal Year 2023-24 Allocation of Community Assistance, Recovery, and Empowerment (CARE) Act Funding
- Trial Court Budget | State Trial Court Improvement and Modernization Fund Allocations for 2023-24
- Trial Court Budget | Fiscal Year 2023-24 Allocation of Court-Appointed Juvenile Dependency Counsel Funding
The final reduction for fund balances above the 3 percent cap, based on courts’ final 2022-23 year-end fund balance figures, will occur following Judicial Council approval at its January 2024 business meeting.